Having lived in the Austin area for over 30 years, I’ve gotten to know the community and what it offers. I definitely have my favorites and Westlake ranks high on my list of places to eat, shop and enjoy.
Westlake is not only a gorgeous place to live; it’s a wonderful place to BE.
There is a difference. Many times you find yourself in a neighborhood where you have to leave your quaint little area to get to various amenities…this is not the case in Westlake.
Founded in 1953, Westlake has grown to meet the needs of its residents, while keeping the beautiful Texas landscape intact. Keep reading to find out what makes Westlake so special!
Not only does Westlake have a fabulous school system, they also have the Westbank Library, which is a great place to learn, read and even meet friends for book clubs and study groups. The upstairs is ideal for meeting a tutor. And if you are in need of a daycare, after-school care or summer camps; Elsass Academy Preschool is the place to go.
Of course, as you travel through the community you will see many interesting sights. Specifically, the views along Red Bud Trail are phenomenal anytime of the year. It’s one of many Westlake roadsides that have fabulous wild flowers during the springtime.
In addition, you will see decorated trees lining Highway 360 throughout the Christmas season. This community decorating idea caught on and now you’ll find tinsel and ornaments on trees along many thoroughfares in the Austin area during the holidays.
And then there are the restaurants in Westlake…. It is so hard to choose, but here are my favorites:
- Maryes Gourmet Pizza Pub – For over 20 years, this pizzeria has created some of the best homemade pizza in the area. They are also known for their fine wines and craft beers.
- Tres Amigos – This Mexican restaurant is a great place to enjoy your meal while watching birds, raccoons, possums, squirrels and deer in the backyard.
- Hula Hut – Who doesn’t like sitting outside on a deck drinking a margarita and watching the boats go by on Lake Austin? This Tex-Mex eatery is fun, family-oriented and a wonderful place to entertain your out-of-town guests.
- Maudie’s Milagra – This ‘Tex-Mex Heaven’ can be found in Davenport Village off of Highway 360 and serves up award-winning food and margaritas!
- Las Palomas – Here you will find authentic interior Mexican cuisine at its best! Located on Bee Caves Road, Las Palomas has been in Westlake for over 30 years.
- The Grove Wine Bar and Kitchen – Having started as a wine bar, they have grown into one of the best places to eat in Austin. The relaxed, casual atmosphere is great to wind down after a hectic day!
- My Fit Foods – If you lead a busy lifestyle, but want to eat healthy; My Fit Foods is perfect! Founded in 2006, these already prepared meals to go help people reach their goals without the lengthy food preparation.
On top of the plethora of wonderful restaurants, Westlake offers the One World Theater for shows and concerts throughout the year and the Westlake Beach for all of your summertime fun. The beach located on Lake Austin has plenty of room to float on a raft, dig around in the sand, eat some yummy ice cream and has plenty of shade to keep the sunburn at bay.
It’s no secret that the outdoors and wild life around Westlake is important to its citizens, so Breed & Co. for all things gardening and Wild Birds Unlimited for the best bird houses in town make for a perfect fit! Lake Austin tops the community off with gorgeous views, water sports, boating and a number of other activities that make the area one of the best in Austin.
Of course, I can’t forget golfing because Westlake is absolutely surrounded by amazing courses! Some of them include Westwood Country Club, Austin Country Club and Barton Creek Spa & Resort! Plus, there is nothing like enjoying a facial, massage, brunch or a round of golf at Barton Creek Spa & Resort. What a treat!!
If shopping is your priority, then you will not be disappointed in the original Austin SteinMart located on Bee Caves Road or the Barton Creek Mall at the corner of Mopac and Highway 360. I think this mall is the best in the area and it includes my two favorite stores, Nordstroms for shoes and Teavana for exotic and delicious teas!
Don’t just take my word for it! Come visit Westlake and find out for yourself all of the many fantastic features that it possesses!
If you or someone you know is interested in real estate or receiving more information about the Austin area, please contact Mary Lynne Gibbs at 512.431.2403 or firstname.lastname@example.org!
It would be an honor to earn your business!